Tunnelling Operative Apprenticeships Apply now
Job Reference: TunnellingApp
Closing date: Tuesday 19th February 2019
Hours: 45 hours with option of overtime. Must be flexible and willing to work different shifts
Duration: 18 months
Location: Tideway sites
CSCS Card: Not required
As a tunnelling operative apprentice, you will have the opportunity to assist with the excavation, support and forming of tunnels and shafts in the ground associated with the construction of a 4.2 billon-pound super sewer project.
As an apprentice you will learn typical tunnelling methods will include hand tunnelling, machine tunnelling, pipejacking, sprayed concrete lining, shaft sinking and drill and blast.
You will be working as part of a larger team, assisting other Tunnelling Operatives, performing tasks which will include moving and handling materials, resources and components by mechanically assisted or manual means; loading and unloading, handling and conveying goods and materials to and from the workface. Other duties will include guiding and controlling the movement and operation of plant, machinery and vehicles; preparing, checking and maintaining machinery and equipment in use.
The training element of the apprenticeship will be delivered through a block release programme and will adhere to the new core requirement of 20% ‘off the job’ training. The importance of the training is so that it reinforces practical, work-based learning with technical and theoretical learning. Off-the-job training can take place at an employer’s workplace or off-site (e.g. in a classroom) It is the activity, rather than the location that determines whether the training meets the funding rules definition.
Tunnelling Operative Apprenticeship practical training elements will consist of:
- CITB SSP Health and Safety Awareness Course (HAS)
- C&G 6151 Tunnel Entry and Associated Emergency Procedures
- CITB SSP Tunnelling Safety Training Scheme (TSTS)
- CITB SSP Site Environmental Training Scheme (SEATS)
- A73 CPCS Plant and Vehicle Marshaller Training and Test
- A40 CPCS Slinger Signaller Training and Test
- The principles and practices of working at height and the use of access equipment incl. Safety Harness Training
- Interpreting different types of information and drawings incl. BIM
- COSHH Awareness and training covering the different products and chemicals used in tunnelling operations and their safe use and disposal
- Manual Handling principles and practice in the tunnelling environment
- Abrasive Wheels principles and practice
- The application of general workplace health, safety and welfare requirements when undertaking tunnelling activities plan and undertake work productively
- Communicating with others and following organisational procedures to conform to productive work practices including sustainability
- Supporting tunnelling operations, at an operative level, associated with the different tunnelling processes including hand tunnelling, machine tunnelling, pipejacking, sprayed concrete lining, shaft sinking and drill and blast. Using appropriate technologies associated with the different processes and/or methods
- Complying with quality requirements associated with tunnelling operations
- Identifying excavated soils and soil types and recognise changes in geology while tunnelling
- Communicating with others and follow organisational procedures to conform to productive work practices
- The application of safe working techniques for moving and handling materials, resources and components by mechanically assisted or manual means
- Operating powered units, tools and pedestrian plant, machinery and equipment specific to tunnelling operations (e.g. pumps, generators, compressors, agitators, grouting equipment, segment-handling equipment) including preparing, checking and maintaining tunnel machinery and equipment
- Working individually and as part of a team, assisting the installation and removal of tunnelling plant, components, machinery and equipment
- Installing back-up service systems for ventilation, pressurisation, communication, water supply, walkways and materials handling (rail, conveyor and piped).